Throughout the Appalachian region of the United States, state education agencies (SEAs) and local education agencies (LEAs) are seeking effective strategies to improve students’ academic achievement, wellness, and lifelong success. To guide their decision-making and help them achieve their goals for students, these agencies need research and guidance tailored to the region’s most urgent educational priorities.
Working closely with SEA leaders and LEA leaders, the Regional Educational Laboratory (REL) Appalachia has carried out high-quality research that responds to the needs of students and educators in Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia. Led by SRI International with support from EDC, REL Appalachia’s services have included training, coaching, providing technical support, and sharing findings to ensure evidence informs practice in a timely manner to benefit students.
In partnership with researchers from SRI International, the EDC team carried out the following activities:
- Led the Student Success in Mathematics Partnership, an initiative to improve students’ mathematics outcomes by grade 9
- Built capacity to use evidence-based mathematics instructional practices
- Advanced knowledge of models of teacher professional development that support students’ successful mathematics learning
- Supported state education leaders in promoting equity in mathematics education
- Supported the technical production of interactive, national webinars bridging research and practice